[Haskell-cafe] Data Flow Programming in FP

David Barbour dmbarbour at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 17:43:04 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:18 AM, Richard Senington <sc06r2s at leeds.ac.uk>wrote:
> I have been looking through the papers by Conal Elliott and Paul Hudak,
Hudak's book "The Haskell School of Expression" (chapters 13,15,17) and
the latest version of the Reactive library on Hackage.

In the past I have looked at Arrows, but I think I should have another

look now, thanks for the suggestion.

Hudak's 'Yampa' is a reactive arrows model, which I believe started with
some of his older work on Frob (functional reactive robotics). There are a
few documents out there of the form "Arrows, Robots, and Functional Reactive
Programming" [1][2]. Ross Patterson's early work on arrows also provides
example of using of Arrows to model synchronous circuits as a form of
dataflow programming [3].

Conal's 'Reactive' is an interesting study, but I don't like the model - it
implicitly uses unsafePerformIO and futures under the hood to capture
real-time behaviors, but I feel that 'real-world' integration should be
captured more explicitly by our models.

[1] http://people.cs.uu.nl/johanj/afp/afp4/hudak.ppt
[3] http://www.soi.city.ac.uk/~ross/papers/notation.html (section 6)