[Haskell-cafe] Software patents covered in GHC?

Manuel M T Chakravarty chak at cse.unsw.edu.au
Tue Jun 21 02:21:19 CEST 2011

austin seipp:
> *sigh* CC'ing to the rest of haskell-cafe for completeness. I need to
> change 'reply all' to a default in my email I guess.
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:19 PM, austin seipp <as at hacks.yi.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Realistically, there probably is. Considering everything down to
>> linked lists are patented by the USPO, I'd be willing to bet (at least
>> a dollar or two) that there are many patents out there that apply to
>> the code used in GHC. I don't know if you could say anything different
>> about *any* nontrivial software, to be quite honest.
>>
>> IANAL however, so I won't attempt to claim in what countries these
>> patents apply, nor could I cite you patent numbers (legalese being
>> terse and software patents so seemingly open to interpretation
>> sometimes, it would be hard to narrow down anyway I think.)

In fact, you are better of not to know.  Given that GHC (like all non-trivial software) surely infringes on some patents, the damages that a patent holder can sue you for are less if you do not know about the patents you are infringing on.  IIRC, a plaintiff can triple the charges if they can reasonably show that you have been aware of the patents that you are infringing on.  Nasty business!

Manuel