[Haskell-cafe] Data Type Inheritance ala OO - Inheritence -- howto best in Haskell ?

kaffeepause73 kaffeepause73 at yahoo.de
Fri Jun 17 09:40:07 CEST 2011

Hi Evan,

that looks very interesting indeed - as still newby I try to understand:

- u create a class "Y" to tackle the "zero" problem for different kinds of y
vectors in a common way
- u create a "Signal" class for the Y- signal inheriting interfaces from y
and Storable.Storable

Then u nest X and Y in a V.Vector - array and give it the type synonym
SigVec.
In all of this X and Y are ur types (or type synonyms) and y is a help
variable.

Then u define the function at -- and that where my understanding fails ?
- this function takes X and sigVec and give u Y ? -- do u use it to applies
all functions on SigVec on Y ?

- don't u need to create instances somewhere in the process and wouldn't u
then have to write all the code during the instance declaration ?

Cheers Phil

P.S.: - some generic question:

- I read using composite datatype using the "data" keyword makes code rather
slow - is nesting better ? : e.g. "data Signal Double v.Vector"  versus
"newtype (Double, v.Vector)

- which nesting structure is most efficient  - touples, lists, V.vector, ...

- alternatively I'm thinking of an "external parallel list" to store
information about the signals