[Haskell-cafe] Please help : Data.Time.Format parseTime

Daniel Patterson lists.haskell at dbp.mm.st
Wed Jun 15 17:56:43 CEST 2011

As a more general response, be careful with parsing dates, because as far as I can tell, it is easy to print times (with formatTime) that cannot be parsed (with parseTime). Specifically, if you strip the padding (of zeros or spaces) there is no way to parse it back in. So parseTime . formatTime is not an identity for anything that cuts out padding. (it results in Nothing for those cases). Perhaps this is because too much data is lost (doesn't seem like this would necessarily be the case), but it does seems like an outstanding problem with parseTime.

If I'm wrong, and, for example, a non-zero padded month (which occurs quite frequently in the world), which can easily be printed with "%-m", can be parsed in without pre-parsing and inserting zeros as appropriate first, I would be happy to hear how!