[Haskell-cafe] best way to use ghc-7.0 under debian stable

Aleksandar Dimitrov aleks.dimitrov at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 10 12:53:30 CEST 2011

Hi Brian,

> Currently debian stable installs ghc 6.12.1.

Testing also doesn't have the new ghc. Here's how I do it:

I have a prefix $HOME/local/haskell, where I installed the ghc binaries
(downloadable at the ghc main site.) Just use ./configure
--prefix=$HOME/local/haskell. Then use the same ./configure command for the
Haskell platform.

I like to keep stuff easily uninstallable, which is why I chose to have a
separate prefix, but you can also just dump into /usr/local.

The manual version doesn't require a lot of maintenance, since ghc versions and
Haskell platform versions aren't very frequently released. Also, you'd like to
migrate to a new version of your compiler consciously anyway, so might as well
make that a manual step, seeing as you'll probably read CHANGELOG while it
installs :-)

Just put your prefix in your path (or don't, if you installed in /usr/local) and
you'll have a very low overhead, recent Haskell version. Installation is quick
and easy, since you don't have to compile GHC.

Regards,
Aleks