[Haskell-cafe] cap 3: stopping thread 3 (stackoverflow)

Brandon Moore brandon_m_moore at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 16:57:57 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

You can split a Sequence in O(log n) time, or a bit cheaper near the ends.

I'd be surprised if you see any speedup with this code.
The serial algorithm is already O(n), maintaining two counters,
and with a lazily generated list it probably runs in constant memory.
length and splitAt are already O(n), make two separate traversals,
and require allocating memory for the entire list.

Even if you have an efficiently splittable data structure, the
parallel version of the code needs to keep four counts for each chunk,
and do more on each update.

Have you tried a version that splits the list into larger chunks, and
uses the serial algorithm for computing the left, right, overall,
and maximum sums of each chunk, before summing them together?