[Haskell-cafe] Proposal: remove "Stability" from haddock documentation on hackage

Christopher Done chrisdone at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:17:44 CEST 2011

On 7 June 2011 15:05, James Cook <mokus at deepbondi.net> wrote:

> It's good, in my opinion, to be able to state succinctly in a standardized
> way that, although it does something now, what the code does and how it does
> it are probably going to change in the future.

I think no one really updates this field and it's a human factor that could
otherwise be generated by Hackage reliably. I'm using many packages that are
"experimental" or "unstable" that've been stable for a year or more. The
field is mostly useless to me. The stability of a package can be judged
based on how often the versions bump up based on the PVP and/or the exports
of the package change, that is something Hackage could trivially do. Agreed,
the naming is also ambiguous, “API stability” seems more straight-forward.