[Haskell-cafe] Distributing Haskell GUI apps for Windows/MacOS?

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:29:35 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 11:58:52 +0100, Pedro Vasconcelos wrote:
> Are there any easy ways of making installers for Windows/MacOS
> (preferably using free or open source tools)?

On MacOS X, applications typically do not come with installers.
Instead you have some kind of disk image (a tarball will do,
but it's customary to create .dmg files) containing an "application
bundle" (ie. directory) which users mv to a directory of their choice.
In GUI terms, this consists in dragging and dropping the icon into your
Applications folder.

To create an application bundle, try Andy Gimblett's cabal-macosx
  https://github.com/gimbo/cabal-macosx

Maybe cabal-macosx could come with a dmg helper. I just use a shell
script which I can fish out later if you want.

Note that this was originally created for wxhaskell projects [1], but I
believe it should also be applicable to other GUI libraries.

Hope this helps,

Eric

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=24625975

--