[Haskell-cafe] How to install GhC on a Mac without registering?

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Jun 6 10:49:08 CEST 2011

On 6/06/2011, at 8:11 AM, Chris Smith wrote:
> That's interesting... whatever the reason, though, I concur that using
> Haskell seems much easier on Linux and Windows.  I had to abandon a plan
> to introduce Haskell in a class I taught this past semester because of
> issues with getting it installed on the Macintosh laptops that some of
> the students had.

You can always
(1) Install VirtualBox -- it's free.
(2) Set up an Ubuntu VM inside VirtualBox -- Ubuntu is also free.
(3) Install Haskell in Ubuntu.

I've done exactly that on the Mac laptop I use.
I also have Haskell running under Mac OS with no special problems.

>  It's very unfortunate that Haskell on Mac requires
> software which can neither be bundled in the install kit nor downloaded
> freely from elsewhere.

Note that the price for XCode applies to *XCode*.
It's not a price for *GCC*.
Having XCode, I was about to download GCC 4.5, build it,
and install it in my own ~/local directory.
Presumably, having built it, I could have copied it somewhere else.