[Haskell-cafe] Subcategories on Hackage

serialhex serialhex at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 21:16:19 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 07:51, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>
> wrote:
> > Also, I don't think listing every package on all of Hackage in one giant
> > page is very useful any more. (I gather it was only meant to be a
> temporary
> > interface in the first place...)
>
> +1 (really +(foldl' (+) (repeat 1))...) — Hackage is *painful* these days.

i havn't a fscking clue how to implement such a beast, but i've seen
(somewhere) tags that have their own heirarchy, so you could have (for
instance)

Image Stuff
 -2D
 -3D
 -Fractal
 -...etc...

and also having multiple tags would help classify things, like a 3D Fractal
renderer would be under "Image Stuff - 3D" "Image Stuff - Fractal" and
probably even under "Math Stuff" (yeah, i know you *love* my technical names
:P )

just my 0.02 cents
hex

--

> > Other than the fact Linux has a cool name, could someone explain why I
> > should use Linux over BSD?
>
> No.  That's it.  The cool name, that is.  We worked very hard on
> creating a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it
> certainly paid off: thousands of people are using linux just to be able
> to say "OS/2? Hah.  I've got Linux.  What a cool name".  386BSD made the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical.
	-- Linus Torvalds' follow-up to a question about Linux