[Haskell-cafe] Iteratees again

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Fri Jun 3 09:53:26 CEST 2011

dm-list-haskell-cafe at scs.stanford.edu writes:

> leaking file descriptors

...until they are garbage collected.  I tend to consider the OS fd
limitation an OS design error - I've no idea why there should be some
arbitrary limit on open files, as long as there is plenty of memory
around to store them.  But, well, yes, it is a real concern.

> parsers that parse every possible input and never fail.

I guess I need to look into how iteratees handle parse failure.
Generally, for me a parse failure means program failure - either the
data is corrupt, or the program is incorrect.

> Thus, for anything other than a toy program, your code actually has to
> be:

> 	readFoo path = bracket (hOpen path) hclose $
> 		hGetContents >=> (\s -> return $! decodeFoo s)

No, I can't do that in general, because I want to process a Foo (which
typically is or contains a list of records) incrementally.  I can't
assume the file or its data are smalle enough to fit in memory.  It is
important that readFoo returns a structure that can be consumed lazily
- or perhaps it can be iteratee all the way up.

> Which is still not guaranteed to work if Foo contains thunks, so then
> you end up having to write:

> 	readFoo path = bracket (hOpen path) hclose $ \h -> do
> 	  s <- hGetContents h
> 	  let foo = decodeFoo s
> 	  deepseq foo $ return foo

I think this - or rather, having Foo's records be strict - is a good
idea anyway.  The previous discussion about frequency counts seems to
indicate that this goes equally well for iteratees.

Thanks for the elaborate answer.

-k