[Haskell-cafe] XCode Dependency for HP on Mac

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 16:21:48 CEST 2011

On 7/30/11, Mark Lentczner <mark at glyphic.com> wrote:
> Hiho - I'm the maintainer of the Mac installer for HP. I thought I'd
> chime in a bit:

An expert :)

> On Mac OS X, "developer tools" is essentially synonymous with "Xcode".
> That is, to get the set of standard utilities needed for development
> on compiled executables (notably the "binutils"), you install Xcode.
> True, it also includes the IDE called Xcode, but the vast bulk [...]

Remember everyone: install just the system tools and dev tools (only
haskell required parts), and your install is 1 or 2 GB instead of
11GB.

> As several have pointed out, you can download Xcode for free.

It turns out this is true. It's very hard to find the dl link to an
XCode that doesn't require Lion, but it actually is there.

>  (I haven't bought a new Air...
> yet... but perhaps someone can check to see if the Xcode installer is
> one the SSD volume already?)

It doesn't, and it's not on the USB restore disk either.

> It is conceivably possible to build and distribute some of those
> tools, but not the whole bundle. But the difficulty of getting such a
> build just right, and all the pieces in the right place, seems absurd
> to attempt to recreate when Apple has done it, and gives it away for
> free. Apple's versions of bintools also includes many extensions extra
> options for the OS X environment (like supporting multi-arch binaries)
> Finally, there is also licensing questions regarding the parts
> supplied by the OS vendor (headers, stub libs, debug libs, etc....)

So in response to the question "is there a way to install the HP
without XCode?" the answer is pretty much no. Ok. It's a shame, but
thanks for the insight!

Thanks,
Tom