[Haskell-cafe] Stack space overflow in HaskellNet

Paul R paul.r.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 09:56:27 CEST 2011

Hem hem ... I should never try to write anything sensible before putting
my thick glasses. -w does not turn ON all warnings, but turns them OFF,
so my previous comment regarding swapping its definition with -Wall is
just nonsense. Sorry for the noise.

Still, do you think there could be room for a -Wsuspicious that would be
defined as current -Wall, and for a more intuitive meaning for -Wall :
turns on really all warnings ?

Paul> Indeed, that's not part of -Wall.

Paul>   http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.0.4/html/users_guide/options-sanity.html

Paul> Am I the only one who assumed so far that Wall turned on all
Paul> existing warnings ?

Paul> From the doc :

Paul> -Wall: Turns on all warning options that indicate potentially
Paul> suspicious code. The warnings that are not enabled by -Wall
Paul> are -fwarn-tabs, -fwarn-incomplete-record-updates, -fwarn-monomorphism-restriction, -fwarn-unused-do-bind,
Paul> and -fwarn-implicit-prelude.

Paul> -w: Turns off all warnings, including the standard ones and those
Paul> that -Wall doesn't enable.

Paul> If there were no backward compatibility issues, I'd prefer to just
Paul> see -w and -Wall swaped. -w would mean "We let the GHC team decide
Paul> what subset of warnings they really want us to observe", and -Wall
Paul> would mean "We really want them all".

--
  Paul