[Haskell-cafe] XCode Dependency for HP on Mac

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 06:04:35 CEST 2011

On 27 July 2011 13:55, Tom Murphy <amindfv at gmail.com> wrote:
> This may sound ignorant because, well, it is ignorant: I know very
> little about the underlying mechanics here.
>
> Installing the Haskell Platform currently requires XCode developer tools.
>
> To get XCode on my 10.6 machine, I...

My understanding is that it's about $5 (though I seem to recall
hearing that they recently made it free), but I don't use OSX so I
can't really help you.

> Is there a way to install HP without XCode? Could there be in the
> future? I'm tired of dealing with Apple's constant upgrade
> requirements, registration requirements, etc., and it seems like a
> small function that XCode actually performs in the Haskell development
> "toolchain."

A C compiler (specifically gcc; not sure if anyone has tried GHC with
clang yet).  Whilst GHC doesn't need to go via C any more, the Haskell
Platform does come with some libraries that have a C component; GHC is
also partly written in C (for the RTS if memory serves) though that
shouldn't be a factor here as you're getting a binary.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com