[Haskell-cafe] file splitter with enumerator package

Eric Rasmussen ericrasmussen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 19:38:33 CEST 2011

I just found another solution that seems to work, although I don't
fully understand why. In my original function where I used EB.take to
strictly read in a Lazy ByteString and then L.hPut to write it out to
a handle, I now use this instead (full code in the annotation here:
http://hpaste.org/49366):

EB.isolate bytes =$ EB.iterHandle handle

It now runs at the same speed but in constant memory, which is exactly
what I was looking for. Is it recommended to nest iteratees within
iteratees like this? I'm surprised that it worked, but I can't see a
cleaner way to do it because of the other parts of the program that
complicate matters. At this point I've achieved my original goals,
unusual as they are, but since this has been an interesting learning
experience I don't want it to stop there if there are more idiomatic
ways to write code with the enumerator package.