[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Haskell in the Cloud (http://quid2.org)

Pasqualino "Titto" Assini tittoassini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:52:19 CEST 2011

Hello Sean,

thanks for taking the time to road test quid2.org.

And believe me, I totally feel your pain :-)

I have just started using it in earnest myself (following the great
"eat you own dog food" principle) and I know how frustrating the whole
experience is.

However, I am working on it daily and things will improve.

Now to come to the points raised in your post:

1) Don't try to use the browser's "back" button
No support for history yet, but is on the todo list.

2) understand the errors
They should know look a bit better but there is still a lot of work to do.

3)
* Save (with Cmd-S on Mac or Ctrl-S on other systems) before clicking "View."
* Wait for the "done" part at the end of the "Saving new source"
message. Sometimes, it doesn't save.

Saving is now automatic and you can switch between Edit and View mode
without losing your data.
You should also see less saving errors.

4) * Don't assume that your saved module is the one being
compiled/interpreted. You may want to do a browser refresh to be sure.
In one attempt, I produced the following: "abcd" = "abc" (where = maps
the term on the left to the value on the right) after adding the 'd'
to the string and saving the file.

There are still inconsistencies when a module is modified, it is next
on my todo list.

5) For some reason, the explicit String type is needed for this
(minimal) example: concat ["a","b","c","d"] :: String

This is because the OverloadString extension is always active.
In the Subject.Quid2.Language module there is now a guide to the
differences between standard Haskell and Quid2's own flavour.

Keep the feedback coming !
Best,
         titto

--