[Haskell-cafe] ghc on arm status

Sergei Trofimovich slyich at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 11:45:07 CEST 2011

On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 23:36:34 +0400
Sergey Mironov <ierton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi. I was searching for info about building ghc on ARM arch. I already
> know about [1] approach, and also saw debian binaries [2], but I am
> afraid I have to compile ghc by myself this time, since our system
> uses incompatible libc, so my question is addressed to gentoo users
> and sympathetic :) Did anybody see any working (currently or in the
> past) dev-lang/ghc arm ebuild?

Which arm do you have?

gentoo-haskell overlay got arm v5 binaries recently. I haven't
got to test it on armv7 yet, but I expect it to work.

https://github.com/gentoo-haskell/gentoo-haskell/blob/700677545a4e8b2f583c3641b99cd4c9588e9655/dev-lang/ghc/ghc-7.0.4.ebuild

Gentoo uses ghc built against glibc, but I think it's feasible to bootstrap
to non-glibc host as well. You would need to have 2 toolchains simultaneously
so some sorts of hacks is required.

Do you really need uclibc? Ghc is a relatively heavyweight thing.
I would expect a need to path ghc to run it there.
You might also like to look at jhc. It is able to cross-compile to
other targets, but it's not a drop-in replacement of ghc.

https://github.com/gentoo-haskell/gentoo-haskell/blob/700677545a4e8b2f583c3641b99cd4c9588e9655/dev-lang/jhc/jhc-9999.ebuild

Ebuilds are hidden in haskell overlay (accessible via layman).

--

  Sergei