[Haskell-cafe] Request for comments: dbus-core 0.9

John Millikin jmillikin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:23:19 CEST 2011

I think I'm pretty close to releasing the next version of my D-Bus library,
dbus-core. This is a big release that changes a lot of the API, so I'd like
to see if anybody 1) has any problems with the new APIs or 2) has any
suggested improvements.

haddock: https://john-millikin.com/temp/dbus-core_0.9/
tarball: https://john-millikin.com/temp/dbus-core_0.9.tar.gz
pdf: https://john-millikin.com/temp/dbus-core_0.9.pdf
examples: https://john-millikin.com/temp/dbus-core_0.9/examples/

Notable improvements in this release are:

• Merges dbus-core and dbus-client. The modules "DBus.Client" and
"DBus.Client.Simple" provide a very nice, high-level API to common D-Bus
operations. Note: I've reverted to the dbus-client_0.3 API for this, since
not many users liked the monad-based API introduced in 0.4.
• The class Variable was split into IsAtom, IsValue, and IsVariant. Together
these let the rest of the type conversion API go away -- you no longer have
to worry about Array, Structure, or Dictionary (except in a few, rare
cases).
• Support for custom transports (eg, a pipe or in-memory buffer).
• Improved support for custom authentication mechanisms.

Also, while the docs are obviously not finished, I'm interested to know if
anyone finds any parts of the library confusing -- those'll get extra doc
love.