[Haskell-cafe] FFI for a beginner

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 14 09:31:16 CEST 2011

FIXED IT!!!  The problem with charm.hs and its FFI dependency charm.c is that both want to produce an intermediary charm.o file. Solution: rename charm.hs to hscharm.hs.

Would you (or anyone else) care to update the tutorials on the Haskell Wiki?  As someone wrote below:
While the tutorials at HaskellWiki<http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/FFI_complete_examples> are helpful, they're outdated. Argh!

It would be great if someone was public-spirited enough to fix this. The root page is here
                http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/Using_the_FFI
which in turn links to the "complete examples" page mentioned above.

The docs<http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ffi-ghc.html#glasgow-foreign-headers> say that -#include pragmas no longer work, but fail to explain how to load code without them. Suffice to say I have no recourse but trial and error."

Ah, now that is a GHC documentation question.  Can you tell us what should the docs should say instead?  Then we can fix the docs.

Simon