[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 190
Daniel Santa Cruz
dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 04:05:04 CEST 2011
Welcome to issue 190 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
the Haskell community. This release covers the week of July 3 to 9,
You can find the HTML version of this issue at:
Karel Gardas announced that he, Stephen Blackheath, and David Terei
are "working together on ARM registerised port of GHC. The port is
using LLVM as a code generator and in kind of working already." Testing
is much appreciated!
Matthias Fischmann inveted people to the HacPhi satellite in Berlin
on July 29-31. See the post for details. Admission is free, but there
is limited space, so don't wait too long!
Quotes of the Week
* chrisdone: [on hpaste as motivational tool] When I added hlint I
was like 'hey Neil, check this', and he was all 'Oh noes! I must
fix all the bugs!'
* *amacleod started excising GOTOs from his BASIC code when he
*roconnor started excising GOTOs from his Pascal code when
he was 11.
*luite used goto's in his C code last year.
* AlanPerlis: One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by
* Axman6: well, if C++ is anything to go by, the next Haskell will
have lambdas and easy concurrency!
* Cale: Constructing a definition from a type is formally the same
thing as constructing a proof from a theorem. (Just with different
logical systems in place :)
* xplat: im in ur Sierpinski space, classifyin' ur subobjects
* cmccann: in ContT, flow controls you
* [Kron] What is the meaning of life? D: [joe6] learning agda?
* camccann: Applying readFile to a file path doesn't return a String
value any more than putting a steak next to a meat grinder magically
turns them into a hamburger.
* blackdog: the type system makes you strong, makes you hard.
Top Reddit Stories
* GHC on ARM
Domain: ghcarm.wordpress.com, Score: 35, Comments: 4
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/idJ7s
Original:  http://goo.gl/D5zjE
* The Monad.Reader Issue 18
Domain: themonadreader.wordpress.com, Score: 32, Comments: 3
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/XA67w
Original:  http://goo.gl/tzVX2
* Haskell vs. ML in the context of "Worse is Better"
Domain: news.ycombinator.com, Score: 31, Comments: 25
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/LpTbP
Original:  http://goo.gl/bNU4w
* Do (side) effects really need a total order?
Domain: pchiusano.blogspot.com, Score: 31, Comments: 8
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/jfxWl
Original:  http://goo.gl/5tmUZ
* Call for GUI examples - Any small GUI applications that you
would like to see implemented with Functional Reactive Programming?
Domain: apfelmus.nfshost.com, Score: 30, Comments: 13
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/MMZJb
Original:  http://goo.gl/X7IXP
* Impredicative Polymorphism - A Use Case
Domain: augustss.blogspot.com, Score: 23, Comments: 6
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/QCwpt
Original:  http://goo.gl/owsJT
* Yesod :: Testimonials from a developer and designer
Domain: yesodweb.com, Score: 19, Comments: 9
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/5HOKo
Original:  http://goo.gl/Zad2d
* Parallelizing a nonogram solver
Domain: jaspervdj.be, Score: 14, Comments: 2
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/5LFlF
Original:  http://goo.gl/BUbUA
* A Haskell newbie's guide to Snap, Part 2
Domain: learnmeahaskell.blogspot.com, Score: 13, Comments: 0
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/KTW50
Original:  http://goo.gl/rF1B1
* Losing my mind: Is Rhask (R language+Haskell) a real entity?
Domain: self.haskell, Score: 11, Comments: 8
On Reddit:  http://goo.gl/O95KN
Original:  http://goo.gl/O95KN
Top StackOverflow Questions
* How to gain control of a 5GB heap in Haskell?
votes: 27, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/OdZIG
* Using higher-order Haskell types in C#
votes: 16, answers: 2
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/qzvok
* Why applicative functors in Haskell and functional programming
votes: 16, answers: 6
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/72kE7
* Is there OS written in Haskell?
votes: 16, answers: 3
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/PgOeO
* A good way to avoid “sharing”?
votes: 15, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/9GLzu
* Hard Time Learning Haskell [migrated]
votes: 13, answers: 0
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/hhonY
* Creating a Haskell REPL within a Haskell application
votes: 11, answers: 1
Read on SO:  http://goo.gl/jZU7I
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
dstcruz at gmail.com.
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz
More information about the Haskell-Cafe