[Haskell-cafe] Paid work available in functional web programming

Adam Chlipala adamc at impredicative.com
Wed Jul 13 23:42:04 CEST 2011

Christopher Done wrote:
> I also find it hard to understand the type system in a non-superficial level
> because the related paper was very hard to grok.

I'll only claim it's a fairly breezy read for people familiar with
dependent type theory, which admittedly is not a huge crowd, even as a
proportion of the Haskell community.  More accessible documentation of
that aspect is on my to-do list.  I'm more or less waiting to start it
until I get this current commercial project staffed properly.

I know it _is_ possible to learn the interesting type system features
well enough with just the existing documentation, because one programmer
on the project, who has no CS research background, has managed to do it
without much apparent trouble.

> I tried to get it
> running a while ago and could not get it to compile.

You couldn't get the compiler to compile?  No one has reported problems
recently, so I suspect everything would Just Work today, if you're using
Linux or OS X (and possibly in other cases).

> I would also like
> to see how it handles non-web stuff as inevitably IME web applications
> involve more than merely reading and writing to a database.

I have no near-term plans to build an Ur implementation that handles
non-web applications.  There is an FFI, though.

Yves_Pares wrote:
> It'd also be interesting to know what you missed in Haskell web
> development so that you needed to build a new language inspired from it.

The key piece is precisely the basis of my paper "Ur: Statically-Typed
Metaprogramming with Type-Level Record Computation."  Haskell is missing
the features that I think are critical for pleasant type-level
computation, in particular of the variety that I use in the examples
detailed in the paper.  I'll leave the rest of my argument to be read
out of the paper by those with enough background to do so.  Folks
without that background might at least read the case studies part of the
paper and consider how such things might be implemented in Haskell, with
equivalent or stronger static guarantees.

Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

>> >  I would like to see a real application in Ur/Web. There are many
>> >  simple examples. I don't and wouldn't want to develop like that,
>> >  writing raw HTML and SQL seems going backwards despite the incredible
>> >  advances in consistency and correctness that Ur/Web offers.
>>
> I agree about the HTML part, but not so much about the SQL part.
> Personally I went back from all the nice abstractions to writing raw
> SQL, because I realized that this is the only way to really exploit the
> power of my database system (PostgreSQL) [1].

I agree.  I find that SQL is the most natural language for expressing
data reading and writing, at least for the web applications I write.
The need to go through a less declarative interface (e.g., classic ORMs)
would be a bug, not a feature, for me.  (Though the online Ur/Web demos
include type-safe ORM implemented as a library completely within the
language!)

As far as HTML templating goes, templates are easy to implement as
functions within Ur.  I understand that people unfamiliar with the
language will want to see code examples before accepting this, but
unfortunately I have none now.