[Haskell-cafe] NLP libraries and tools?

Jack Henahan jhenahan at uvm.edu
Sun Jul 10 06:13:45 CEST 2011

Heh, I just hit Reply All and I guess the address came in wrong. Ah, well.

I strongly agree with you on the state of linguistics, et al. Having done little bits of work in a few of those fields (or at least work _with_ people in them), your comments are spot on. Though perhaps I wouldn't say that mathematics isn't a science (merely because most fields therein satisfy the scientific method). But my glasses may be just a little rosy. :)

All that said, I find your points insightful. And don't even get me started on the sloppy math in the social sciences. :D

A major issue in the matter of theory/practice drift seems (to me, at least) to be the subject matter's ability to assimilate into pop culture and pseudo-scientific meandering. String theory and some of Penrose's works spring to mind. Sapir-Whorf, "relational" databases, and the events (perhaps to be read 'hype') leading up to the AI Winter also come to mind. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, as they say.

Perhaps that's just confirmation bias. I may just think of them as examples because they're pet peeves. :D

And, naturally, every field wishes it could be mathematics. (Tongue in cheek… mostly)
http://xkcd.com/435/