[Haskell-cafe] Call for GUI examples - Functional Reactive Programming

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Fri Jul 8 17:55:04 CEST 2011

Chris Smith wrote:
> Heinrich Apfelmus wrote:
>> Do you know any *small GUI programs* that you would *like* to see
>> *implemented with Functional Reactive Programming?*
>
> This isn't really a specific application, but what I'd like to see most
> from FRP is an example of something that involves moving between windows
> and dialog boxes.  All of the GUI-based FRP examples I've seen so far
> involve interactions in a specific GUI layout.  It's unclear to me how
> FRP extends into a situation like:
>
> - There's a starting window showing several options for what to do
> - When the user chooses an option, that window closes, and a new one
> opens with that activity.
> interactions.
>
> It's not clear to me if anyone in FRP has an idea of how stuff like this
> fits in.  Is there some FRP trick to handle this declaratively?  Or
> would you just say each move to a new window ends or pauses one network
> of events and behaviors, and starts a new one?

That's a very good example. Unfortunately, I am one of those who don't
have any idea of how stuff like this fits in. :)

I think it's possible to get something like this with pausing and
resuming event networks, but a general and elegant formulation would
probably rely on dynamic event switching, which I haven't attempted to
implement yet. I'm trying to pick the low hanging fruit first.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com