[Haskell-cafe] NVIDIA's CUDA and Haskell

Trevor L. McDonell tmcdonell at cse.unsw.edu.au
Fri Jul 8 03:45:00 CEST 2011

On 07/07/2011, at 1:36 AM, Johannes Waldmann wrote:

> actually libcuda is in /usr/lib/nvidia-current ...

> It still feels strange that I can build the examples from
> NVIDIA_GPU_Computing_SDK/C/src/  without modifying LDFLAGS.

Okay. I've modified to configure script to fix the extra space issue, and to
push LDFLAGS and CFLAGS onto the environment before cabal attempts the build. It
should also correctly handle the --extra-[lib,include]-dirs flags now. Hopefully
that goes smoother in future...

I had a look though the makefiles used by the NVIDIA examples on my ubuntu test
machine, but found no mention of searching /usr/lib/nvidia-current, so I'm not
sure where that came from. Maybe that's part of the examples installer script,
but I'll have to look into that later.

> Anyway, when running "accelerate-examples --cuda" I get mixed results,
>
> Is there a way to find out the expected results/failures
> for a recent accelerate package install?
> (So I can avoid reporting them.)

That is a good point. Some of the tests are expected to fail but that's not
written down anywhere yet; I'll add a README.

The stack overflow errors come from the reference implementations, not the
accelerate code; give the RTS more space to play in with "+RTS -K32M" or
similar. Off the top of my head permute-hist, radixsort, one of the slice tests,
and scanseg-sum fail.

Thanks for the bug reports so far!

-Trev