[Haskell-cafe] Haskell for children? Any experience?

Niklas Broberg niklas.broberg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 20:40:05 CET 2011

> Ye gods! A B & D [1] language for kids? At least give them a fighting
> chance [2] at becoming future developers.
>
> Haskell's immutability is good for mathematics but doing anything else
> takes a great deal of up-front patience and perseverance, two very
> rare qualities in that demographic if my own childhood is any
> indication.

Begone, disbeliever! And listen to the gospel of Matthias Felleisen
preaching the truth: http://vimeo.com/6631514 (presentation from ICFP
2009)

The paper is "A Functional I/O System - or, Fun for Freshman Kids":
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/icfp09-fffk.pdf

Alas, it's about Scheme, but I am sure it would be both interesting
and useful regardless.

Cheers,

/Niklas