[Haskell-cafe] Haskell for children? Any experience?

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 18:44:24 CET 2011

Hi Chris,
I was a little negative in my last message so maybe I can contribute
something positive. If you're looking for a musical way to teach
Haskell I did a Haskell music hackathon [1]  about a year and a half
ago. The idea was to use Haskell [2] to play music through a
Supercollider music server [3] .

Supercollider itself just generates sound so I had to code up support
for scales, arpeggios and chords including the ability to generate
arpeggios and chords from some user-defined scale.

One of the fun applications of this support was to grab 2 yrs worth of
DOW closing numbers from Yahoo Financial and set it to music. The user
was able to select a scale, key, octave and instrument and the code
would autogenerate notes within that scale and with a chordal
accompaniment. It was right around the time of the American
presidential election and the economy being such a big issue, it was
fun listening to the music start off high but get lower and lower over
time.

You are welcome to play around with it and if you run into any
difficulties, let me know.

-deech

[1]  https://patch-tag.com/r/deech2k/SuperCollider-Haskell/snapshot/current/content/pretty/HaskoreHackfest.hs
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/haskore-supercollider