[Haskell-cafe] Are constructors strict?

Daryoush Mehrtash dmehrtash at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:49:13 CET 2011

Sebastian,

At high level, I understand the notion that thunks are about values and not
nondeterminism computation but I have been missing the isight in the code as
how this happens..  After reading it a few times and trying some
experiments.  This is my "layman" understanding of the problem...

It seems to boil down the that idea that when we have

do x <- e1
     e2

values in e1 is evaluated lazily, but, at least in naive coding, e2 has no
way of controlling e1, it just has to take what is dished out to it!

so in

do ys <- perm xs

assuming there are N permutation on xs we would lazily generate the
following

perm xs = p1 'mplus' p2 'mplus'  ... pn

where each of the Permutation are themselves evaluated lazily.

Again if I understand this correctly, the reason why sort in section 2.2 of
the paper is slow is that even though isSorted can determine that any
permutation that has its first two arguments as say (20,10....) is not
sorted, but the "perm xs" keeps generating  different permutation all
starting with (20,10...) and isSorted has to keep rejecting them.

So even-though for each permutation the code lazily looks at minimum number
of elements to rule out unsorted permutation, still the number of extra
permutation that are generated causes slow overall response.

Am I correct?

--
Daryoush

Weblog:  http://onfp.blogspot.com/ <http://perlustration.blogspot.com/>