[Haskell-cafe] Building lambdabot

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 18:31:48 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 3:24 AM, Max Bolingbroke
<batterseapower at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 January 2011 01:51, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It had a lot of issues which meant it wouldn't build anywhere, where
>> at least the Hackage version worked at some point. I spent this
>> evening working on fixing issues (rewriting the show package to use
>> QuickCheck 2 rather than QuickCheck 1 was not fun!) and have uploaded
>> a lambdabot and show that compile for me on GHC 6.12.1
>
> The show package almost compiles on GHC 7, but:
>
> * You need to loosen the base upper bound to < 4.4
> * If using base >= 4, you need to depend on the syb package as well
> (current version 0.3)

Would this break GHC 6.12 builds? Since I do not have GHC 7 installed
and, given the breakage I experienced when I installed it the other
day and tried to cabal-install my usual tools, will not have it
installed any time soon, I am leery of any GHC 7-related changes.

data-memocombinators is only the tip of the iceberg; I believe much of
lambdabot would need modifications. (Apparently Control.OldException
has gone away, which alone guarantees many changes.) So there wouldn't
be much point to changing show.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net