[Haskell-cafe] GHC timings

S. Doaitse Swierstra doaitse at swierstra.net
Thu Jan 20 15:18:51 CET 2011

I have small program UULib which i use for checking some timing information.

When I compile with ghc 7 and profiling information I get the timings which are more or less what I expect.
If I however recompile without profiling tome consumed goes up by a factor of 20!

1) Am I misinterpreting the results?
2) If not, does this look familiar to anyone?
3) If so, whether should I look first to see what is going on here?

 Doaitse

dyn-81-64:ProgramTests doaitse$ ghc --make UULib
[1 of 2] Compiling ParseInputs      ( ParseInputs.hs, ParseInputs.o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Main             ( UULib.hs, UULib.o )
Linking UULib ...
dyn-81-64:ProgramTests doaitse$ time ./UULib
138000

real	0m9.101s
user	0m9.048s
sys	0m0.038s
dyn-81-64:ProgramTests doaitse$ ghc --make -prof -auto-all -rtsopts UULib
[1 of 2] Compiling ParseInputs      ( ParseInputs.hs, ParseInputs.o )
[2 of 2] Compiling Main             ( UULib.hs, UULib.o )
Linking UULib ...
dyn-81-64:ProgramTests doaitse$ time ./UULib
138000

real	0m0.418s
user	0m0.376s
sys	0m0.038s
dyn-81-64:ProgramTests doaitse$ time ./UULib +RTS -h -p
138000

real	0m0.457s
user	0m0.397s
sys	0m0.034s