[Haskell-cafe] Adding a builder to the "bytestring" package?

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 21:04:40 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> Isn't Simon Meier working on migrating his code from blaze-builder
> into binary?

So I heard (although not directly from Simon). I think it would be
nice to port the blaze-builder implementation to binary, but to keep
binaries current interface (for now).

> I agree with John that it would make more sense to go in
> bytestring. Assuming that happens, would the builder from text end up
> being based on it?

ByteString and Text don't share an underlying data structure at the
moment (one uses pinned ForeignPtrs and one unpinned ByteArray#s) so
they can use the same builder efficiently. Some day perhaps.

Johan