[Haskell-cafe] Denotational semantics for the lay man.

David Sankel camior at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 19:55:04 CET 2011

Hello All,

I've recently had the opportunity to explain in prose what denotational
semantics are to a person unfamiliar with it. I was trying to get across the
concept of distilling the essence out of some problem domain. I wasn't able
to get the idea across so I'm looking for some simple ways to explain it.

Does anyone know of a way to explain what's the meaning and objective of
"distilling the essence" without introducing more jargon. One thing that
comes to mind is how Newton's equations for gravity were a distillation of
the essence of the way things fall.

Thanks in advance,

David

--