[Haskell-cafe] Happstack events and web page refreshing

Jeremy Shaw jeremy at n-heptane.com
Mon Jan 17 17:41:14 CET 2011

Hello,

The problem is that clients are not 'connected' to the web server. The
way it works (more or less) is:

  1. client connects to server and sends a Request
  2. server sends a Response
  3. connection is terminated.

So, once the page has been loaded there is no connection between the
web-server and the client. Hence there is no way for the server to
send anything to the clients.

In HTML 5, there is something known as web sockets with does allow you
to have a persistent connection to the clients. However, it does not
yet have broad browser support. In fact, some browsers have
temporarily removed support due to a security flaw in the design
specification.

There are a variety of hacks collectively known as 'comet' for trying
to create a persistent connection on top of the existing HTTP 1.1
standard:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(programming)

That deals with trying to have the server push updates to the client.

A different approach is to have the clients pull new data from the
server by polling the server for changes every now and then. But that
depends on how much latency you can afford for the updates. For
example,  if updating only once a minute is fine versus must update
every second.

Once you decide how to get the data to the client, then you can figure
out how to track changes to the MACID database.

- jeremy