[Haskell-cafe] Please explain the Lazy type differences

Roderick Ford developer at live.com
Mon Jan 17 05:39:52 CET 2011

I wrote this little clip, and haven't been able to figure out why the L.ByteString is different type than Data.ByteString.Internal.ByteString, or if I am just doing everything wrong here.

import System.FilePath

import System.Environment
import qualified Data.ByteString.Lazy as L
import qualified Crypto.Hash.SHA1 as SH
import Data.Hex (hex)

hashFile :: FilePath -> IO L.ByteString
hashFile f = do
     content <- L.readFile f
     let hasher = SH.init
             bhsh = SH.update hasher content
     return (hex (SH.finalize bhsh))

I really just want to get the digest of a file as a [Char], but then of course, SH.update is not very happy about the type I am passing to it either.

Can't wait till this becomes easy!

Roderick