[Haskell-cafe] H98, OOHaskell - getting started with objects in Haskell

gutti philipp.guttenberg at gmx.net
Sun Jan 16 23:48:46 CET 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:36:22 -0800 (PST)
"Wolfgang Jeltsch-2 [via Haskell]"
<ml-node+3341886-976283800-146367 at n5.nabble.com> wrote:

> Is this really ideal for OO? I thought that in a cellular automaton,
> all cells have to change synchronously. In addition, cells have to
> access the old states of their neighbours to compute their new
> states. So you would have to heavily synchronize the objects.
>
> In this light, I’d say that the distributed OO approach isn’t very
> practical. A global control of the whole system might be better.
>
> Note that I’m by no way an expert in cellular automata. I’m just
> thinking of the game of life. :-)
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

I don't yet have experience with cellular automata either. What u say
seems plausible, but then the life game might have been coded that way,
because most OO language don't offer concurrent objects and the
distributed OO approach (seems to be a very recent concept).

Looking at life u probably could save time, if u only would evaluate
code on cells, where the neighbors have changed status. So rather than
triggering them all centrally and each checks its neighbours, we could
use the concept:

- let the active ones trigger the neighbours & so pass on activity