[Haskell-cafe] H98, OOHaskell - getting started with objects in Haskell

Alberto G. Corona agocorona at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 00:11:54 CET 2011

Hi!

2011/1/14 gutti <philipp.guttenberg at gmx.net>

I'm especially interestes in engineering calculation tasks where cellular
> automata could be used. In that case all u have to do is to give the class
> the right properties and that "let it grow".
>
> Such a localised intelligence approach seems an ideal OO - task. I don't
> know whether something functional could achieve the same.

Thanks to your question, I took another look and the old and wonderful
OOHaskell paper. It is very well written and describes almost exhaustively
the haskell alternatives and their shortcomings:

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/OOHaskell/paper.pdf

Honestly, with the information I can have, my view is that the ·"let it
grow" issue in the full is only achievable by following the OOHaskell path,
but you can use the other ways paying a little price.

This past discussion also applies:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2006-January/013925.html