[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 164 - January 12, 2011

Daniel Santa Cruz dstcruz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 03:54:22 CET 2011

   Welcome to issue 164 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in
   the [1]Haskell community. This release covers the week of January 2 to
   8, 2011.

Announcements

   Ben Millwood [2]announced the release of haskell-src-meta 0.3. He tells
   us that this release adds support for GHC 7, and for TH 2.5, along with
   other improvements.

   Mitar announced [3]a new version ef Etage, a general data-flow
   framework.

   Malcolm Wallace had [4]some news from the Haskell Language Committee.
   One of the points mentioned is that there will _not_ be a language
   standard called 2011, with the committee intending to issue a new
   language standard in 2012.

   Simon Peyton-Jones [5]invited members from the community to submit
   papers for the Workshop on Intermediate Representations 2011. The
   deadline is January 21.

   Clemens Grelck wanted to alert everyone that the [6]new deadline for
   papers for the Eighth International Workshop on Practical Aspects of
   High-Level Parallel Programming (PAPP 2011) to be held June 1-3, 2011,
   in Tsukuba, Japan.

   Emanuel Kitzelmann extended a [7]call for papers for the 4th
   International Workshop on Approaches and Applications of Inductive
   Programming (AAIP 2011) to be held July 19, 2011, in Odense, Denmark.

   Maciej Piechotka announced the [8]first release of nanoparsec.
   "Nanoparsec is currently simply a port of attoparsec on the
   ListLike--the abstraction of lists used by iteratee.

Top Reddit Stories

   * Why Lisp is a Big Hack (And Haskell is Doomed to Succeed)
     Domain: axisofeval.blogspot.com, Score: 69, Comments: 15
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/evbz5/why_lisp_is_a_big_hack_and_haskell_is_doomed_to/
     Original: http://axisofeval.blogspot.com/2011/01/why-lisp-is-big-hack-and-haskell-is.html

   * I ported Clojure's Persistent Vectors and Hash Maps to Haskell
     Domain: blog.wuwon.id.au, Score: 54, Comments: 2
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/evzhz/i_ported_clojures_persistent_vectors_and_hash/
     Original: http://blog.wuwon.id.au/2011/01/persistent-vectors-and-hash-maps-for.html

   * 3 Big Haskell Infrastructure Projects That Would Be Cool
     Domain: cdsmith.wordpress.com, Score: 31, Comments: 8
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/evt56/3_big_haskell_infrastructure_projects_that_would/
     Original: http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/big-ideas-for-haskell/

   * Merging binary and cereal
     Domain: blog.johantibell.com, Score: 31, Comments:
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/ewvpv/merging_binary_and_cereal/
     Original: http://blog.johantibell.com/2011/01/merging-binary-and-cereal.html

   * Haskell library improvements I'd like to see
     Domain: blog.johantibell.com, Score: 28, Comments:
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/evm0g/haskell_library_improvements_id_like_to_see/
     Original: http://blog.johantibell.com/2011/01/haskell-library-improvements-id-like-to.html

   * You can use GHC for the mac app store
     Domain: github.com, Score: 20, Comments: 8
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/exxal/you_can_use_ghc_for_the_mac_app_store/
     Original: https://github.com/nfjinjing/haskell-cocoa-currency-converter-example

   * Sudoku Solver in Haskell
     Domain: antimatroid.wordpress.com, Score: 18, Comments: 7
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/ev1i0/sudoku_solver_in_haskell/
     Original: http://antimatroid.wordpress.com/2009/06/01/sudoku-solver-in-haskell/

   * Job Board for Functional Programmers
     Domain: functionaljobs.com, Score: 15, Comments: 6
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/evi5d/job_board_for_functional_programmers/
     Original: http://functionaljobs.com

   * Haskell library for analysis and synthesis of Go code.
     Domain: hackage.haskell.org, Score: 15, Comments: 6
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/ex43z/haskell_library_for_analysis_and_synthesis_of_go/
     Original: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/language-go

   * Hello Reddit! I implemented Levenshtein automata in Haskell after
reading that 'Damn Cool Algorithm' blog post -- what do you think?
     Domain: self.haskell, Score: 14, Comments: 4
     On Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/ewl7o/hello_reddit_i_implemented_levenshtein_automata/
     Original: /r/haskell/comments/ewl7o/hello_reddit_i_implemented_levenshtein_automata/

Top StackOverflow Questions

   * Why do we need 'seq' or 'pseq' with 'par' in Haskell?
     votes: 9, answers: 2
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4576734/why-do-we-need-seq-or-pseq-with-par-in-haskell

   * Complex data structures in Haskell - how do they work?
     votes: 8, answers: 2
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4597262/complex-data-structures-in-haskell-how-do-they-work

   * Mutability in functional programming
     votes: 8, answers: 3
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4619500/mutability-in-functional-programming

   * Where can I learn advanced Haskell?
     votes: 8, answers: 6
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4634962/where-can-i-learn-advanced-haskell

   * in haskell, why do I need to specify type constraints, why can't
the compiler figure them out?
     votes: 7, answers: 4
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4590975/in-haskell-why-do-i-need-to-specify-type-constraints-why-cant-the-compiler-fig

   * Can someone explain to me the following Haskell expression
     votes: 6, answers: 2
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4589957/can-someone-explain-to-me-the-following-haskell-expression

   * Parse XML in Haskell
     votes: 6, answers: 5
     Read on SO: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4619206/parse-xml-in-haskell

   * Haskell: Record Update for Existential Types
     votes: 5, answers: 1
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4580211/haskell-record-update-for-existential-types

   * Are there any more original, more functional Haskell web-frameworks?
     votes: 5, answers: 2
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4598091/are-there-any-more-original-more-functional-haskell-web-frameworks

   * Defining a data type that doesn't want to be defined..
     votes: 5, answers: 1
     Read on SO:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4612830/defining-a-data-type-that-doesnt-want-to-be-defined

About the Haskell Weekly News

   You can find an html version of this newsletter at
   http://contemplatecode.blogspot.com/2011/01/haskell-weekly-news-issue-164.html

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to
   dstcruz at gmail.com. I'm in dire need of finding good "quotes of the
   week". If you happen to come across any, please don't hesitate to send
   it along.

   Hope your 2011 is off to a good start! Until next time,
   Daniel Santa Cruz