[Haskell-cafe] H98, OOHaskell - getting started with objects in Haskell

gutti philipp.guttenberg at gmx.net
Wed Jan 12 22:55:06 CET 2011

Hi,

I wanted to check whether Haskell offers reasonably easy object oriented
programming -- I already had a look into "Haskell's overlooked object
system" und "A Gentle Introduction to Haskell 98" [H98]

There are a few things where I could use advice with:

1. OOHaskell doesn't seem to be available in the HackageDB (cabal) -- so how
do I install it especially on Debian ?

2. is OOHaskell the right way to go - is it standardised (H98) or is it
extension and is it widely used and recommended  ?

3. Haskell 98 offers datatypes and some sort of monadic classes -- is it
possible to build simple objects without OOHaskell ?

4. When I want object properties to change, when should I use IORef when
STRef ?

Thanks in advance,

Phil