[Haskell-cafe] GHC.Ptr, Foreign.Storable, Data.Storable.Endian, looking for good examples of usage

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:49:18 CET 2011

> From: Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists at gmail.com>
> On 9 January 2011 21:30, Henning Thielemann
> <lemming at henning-thielemann.de>wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 9 Jan 2011, Aaron Gray wrote:
> >
> >  I am trying to work out how to use GHC.Ptr, Foreign.Storable,
> >> Data.Storable.Endian, and
> >> am looking for good examples of usage.
> >>

> > What do you intend to do with them?
> >

> An (ABC) ActionScript Byte Code backend for Haskell.
>
> Basically I need to write little-endian binary to a file, and was wondering
> the best way to do this; I need various types including a 24bit type.

You could use my "word24" package[1] (GHC only) to provide non-aligned
24-bit word and int types with Storable instances.  You should be able to
write a binary instance (or whatever blaze-builder needs) fairly simply from
this.  Little-endian only ATM, but BE could be added if necessary.

John Lato
[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/word24