[Haskell-cafe] hoogle command line program on Linux

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Sun Jan 9 20:47:20 CET 2011

Neil Mitchell wrote:

> Hoogle 4.1.3 is now released, which reads and writes Hoogle input
> files in UTF8 throughout. Please let me know if this doesn't fix your
> problem.

Thanks Neil for the quick response. That definitely has fixed thet
problem.

The next problem is that hoogle installed as a Debian package would
install as root as /usr/bin/hoogle. Then, when I run "hoogle data" it
wants to install the database at /usr/share/hoogle/hoogle-4.1.3/databases
which fails because I'm not running as root. So, to install the databases
I need to run "sudo hoogle data" (which is acceptable), but then an
unprivelidge user can't run hoogle because they don't have read permission
on the database.

The solution would be to set the umask before writing the databases.
Something like (untested):

    import System.Posx

    -- Set umask to world read/execute. Save old umask for
    -- restoration later.
    oldumask <- setFileCreationMask 0o022

If you need help with this, let me know.

Cheers,
Erik