[Haskell-cafe] Exportable and importable instances

Gábor Lehel illissius at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 14:21:58 CET 2011

The objection to this I recall hearing is that it would make it
possible for different parts of the program to see different instances
for a given type (local instances, effectively), which would have
"interesting" results. I don't know if there's a way to implement the
feature which avoids this, or whether also adding support for local
instances is actually part of the plan. (If I'm thinking this through
correctly, this is currently avoided because instances are always
exported, and Main imports all modules transitively, so any
conflicting instances will be visible in Main at the latest.)