[Haskell-cafe] Type System vs Test Driven Development

Serguey Zefirov sergueyz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:21:21 CET 2011

2011/1/6 Arnaud Bailly <arnaud.oqube at gmail.com>:
> I would supplement this excellent list of advices with an emphasis on
> the first one: Test-Driven Development is *not* testing, TDD is a
> *design* process. Like you said, it is a discipline of thought that
> forces you first to express your intent with a test, second to write
> the simplest thing that can possibly succeed, third to remove
> duplication and refactor your code.

Change T in TDD from Test to Type and you still get a valid
description like "It is a discipline of thought that forces you first
to express your intent with a type, second to write  the simplest
thing that can possibly succeed, third to remove duplication and
refactor your code."

As for me, I prefer testing in the largest possible.

I write functions, experiment with them in REPL, combine them and
check combination result in REPL and when I cannot specify experiment
in one line of ghci, I write test.