[Haskell-cafe] Type System vs Test Driven Development

Jesse Schalken jesseschalken at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 05:45:35 CET 2011

You need both. A good static type system will tell you whether or not the
code is type-correct. It will not tell you whether or not it does what it's
supposed to do.

Consider:

sort :: [a] -> [a]

If you change sort to be:

sort = id

It will still type check, but it obviously doesn't do what it's supposed to
do anymore. You need tests to verify that.

If you then change sort to be:

sort _ = 5

Now it's also type-incorrect. Static typing will catch it at compile
time (eg. Haskell will now infer the type as "Num b => a -> b" which will
not unify with "[a] -> [a]"), and dynamic typing will likely throw some sort
of type error at run time in the places it was previously used. (Any error
thrown by the language itself, like PHP's "Cannot call method on non-object"
or Python's "TypeError" or even Java's "NullPointerException" or C++'s
"Segmentation Fault" can be considered a type error.)

So with static typing, the machine will verify type-correctness, but you
still need tests to verify the program meets its specification. With dynamic
typing, you need tests to verify that the program meets both its
specification *and* doesn't throw any type errors - so you need to test
more.

The fact that most errors in programming are type errors and that Haskell
programs therefore tend to "just work" once you can get them past the type
checker may lead you to believe you don't need to test at all. But you still
do for the reasons above, you just need to test a hell of a lot less.