No subject

Thu Feb 24 17:58:36 CET 2011

more suited to deal with IO?
Or maybe they just wouldn't apply in the case of GUI...

2011/7/8 Heinrich Apfelmus <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de>

> Dear Haskellers,
>
> Can GUI programming be liberated from the IO monad? Functional Reactive
> Programming (FRP) promises as much, and I'm trying to make this dream a
> reality with my [reactive-banana][] library. Having released version
> 0.4.0.0, I am now looking for example programs to direct the future
> evolution of the library.
>
> Do you know any *small GUI programs* that you would *like* to see
> *implemented with Functional Reactive Programming?*
>
> I'm sure that some of you
>
> * are interested in FRP and would like to learn from a few simple but
> beautiful examples
> * or have written small GUI programs that they are unhappy with because
> they were not purely functional
> * or have thought about FRP before and concocted a few examples that are
> very tricky to implement with FRP
> * or have written a nice little GUI application that simply makes a great
> example.
>
> I would love to hear your examples, so that I can try to convert them to
> FRP style and test my library against them!
>
> Strictly speaking, it doesn't have to be an example with a graphical
> interface, I'm also interested in audio and animation examples, though I'm
> currently focusing on GUIs.
>
> Here a few examples of what I am looking for:
>
> * I think that Tim Docker's minimal step sequencer [hbeat][] simply makes a
> great example. I hope that wxHaskell offers a platform-independent way to
> play sound.
>
> * While editing the [Haskell Weekly News][hwn], Brent Yorgey wrote a little
> command-line [program to gather newsworthy items][zipedit]. But wouldn't a
> GUI be great? Since I'm only interested in the GUI, someone would have to
> supply the feed parser for this example to be viable. Maybe the current
> editor, Daniel Santa Cruz, might be interested?
>
> * Notes of a musical performance can be modeled as event streams (MIDI), as
> Henning Thielemann has [done with great effect][midi streams]. Surely,
> reactive-banana should be up to the task, but writing an arpeggiator seems
> impossible at the moment.
>

>  [reactive-banana]: http://hackage.haskell.org/**package/reactive-banana<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reactive-banana>
>  [zipedit]: http://byorgey.wordpress.com/**2008/06/21/zipedit/<http://byorgey.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/zipedit/>
>  [hbeat]: http://dockerz.net/twd/hBeat
>  [midi streams]: http://hackage.haskell.org/**package/streamed<http://hackage.haskell.org/package/streamed>
>  [hwn]: http://www.haskell.org/**haskellwiki/Haskell_Weekly_**News<http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Weekly_News>
>

> Best regards,
> Heinrich Apfelmus
>
> --
> http://apfelmus.nfshost.com

--20cf307abe6f17ecd004a7c66176

&gt; Can GUI programming be liberated from the IO monad?<br><br>From a laym=
an&#39;s point of view, aren&#39;t structures like enumerators/iteratees mo=
re suited to deal with IO?<br>Or maybe they just wouldn&#39;t apply in the =
case of GUI...<br>

ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:apfelmus at quantentunnel.de">apfelmus at quantentunne=
0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

Dear Haskellers,<br>
Can GUI programming be liberated from the IO monad? Functional Reactive Pro=
gramming (FRP) promises as much, and I&#39;m trying to make this dream a re=
ality with my [reactive-banana][] library. Having released version 0.4.0.0,=
 I am now looking for example programs to direct the future evolution of th=
e library.<br>

Do you know any *small GUI programs* that you would *like* to see *implemen=
ted with Functional Reactive Programming?*<br>
I&#39;m sure that some of you<br>
* are interested in FRP and would like to learn from a few simple but beaut=
iful examples<br>
* or have written small GUI programs that they are unhappy with because the=
y were not purely functional<br>
* or have thought about FRP before and concocted a few examples that are ve=
ry tricky to implement with FRP<br>
* or have written a nice little GUI application that simply makes a great e=
xample.<br>
I would love to hear your examples, so that I can try to convert them to FR=
P style and test my library against them!<br>
Strictly speaking, it doesn&#39;t have to be an example with a graphical in=
terface, I&#39;m also interested in audio and animation examples, though I&=
#39;m currently focusing on GUIs.<br>
Here a few examples of what I am looking for:<br>
* I think that Tim Docker&#39;s minimal step sequencer [hbeat][] simply mak=
es a great example. I hope that wxHaskell offers a platform-independent way=
 to play sound.<br>
* While editing the [Haskell Weekly News][hwn], Brent Yorgey wrote a little=
 command-line [program to gather newsworthy items][zipedit]. But wouldn&#39=
;t a GUI be great? Since I&#39;m only interested in the GUI, someone would =
have to supply the feed parser for this example to be viable. Maybe the cur=
rent editor, Daniel Santa Cruz, might be interested?<br>

* Notes of a musical performance can be modeled as event streams (MIDI), as=
 Henning Thielemann has [done with great effect][midi streams]. Surely, rea=
ctive-banana should be up to the task, but writing an arpeggiator seems imp=
ossible at the moment.<br>

 =A0[reactive-banana]: <a href=3D"http://hackage.haskell.org/package/reacti=
ve-banana" target=3D"_blank">http://hackage.haskell.org/<u></u>package/reac=
tive-banana</a><br>
 =A0[zipedit]: <a href=3D"http://byorgey.wordpress.com/2008/06/21/zipedit/"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://byorgey.wordpress.com/<u></u>2008/06/21/zipedit/<=
/a><br>
 =A0[hbeat]: <a href=3D"http://dockerz.net/twd/hBeat" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://dockerz.net/twd/hBeat</a><br>
 =A0[midi streams]: <a href=3D"http://hackage.haskell.org/package/streamed"=
r>
 =A0[hwn]: <a href=3D"http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_Weekly_New=
s" target=3D"_blank">http://www.haskell.org/<u></u>haskellwiki/Haskell_Week=
Best regards,<br>
Heinrich Apfelmus<br><font color=3D"#888888">
--<br>
fshost.com</a><br>