[Haskell-cafe] HANSEI in Haskell?

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at cs.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 28 16:34:07 CET 2011

Daryoush Mehrtash <dmehrtash at gmail.com> wrote in haskell-cafe:
> I am confused about this comment:
> > Mostly we preferred (as do the domain experts we target) to write
> > probabilistic models in direct style rather than monadic
>
> In the haskell implementation of the lawn model there are two different
> version of the grassModel (
> https://github.com/rst76/probability/blob/master/src/Lawn.hs)...
> By domain expert preferring direct style do you mean that they prefer
> the first version over the 2nd version?

No, there is no way to write probabilistic models in direct style in
Haskell, and domain experts prefer neither Haskell version you showed.

A symptom of direct style is being able to write something like

    flip 0.3 && flip 0.5

where (&&) takes two Bool arguments.

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig