[Haskell-cafe] ANN: unordered-containers - a new, faster hashing-based containers library

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Thu Feb 24 11:51:49 CET 2011

Johan Tibell wrote:
> IntMap (which shares data structure with HashMap) only hash O(n) size.
> I wonder if people avoid using IntMap because of this.

Another common usage for Map is as a functional integer-indexed
random access array.

Once I implemented the standard algorithm for random shuffle
of a list using Data.Map Int. It was much nicer than the STArray
version, in my opinion. But when I tried switching to Data.IntMap,
hoping to make it faster, I was devastatingly disappointed. Now
I understand why.

-Yitz