[Haskell-cafe] Cabal things

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 16:10:19 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Volker Wysk <pf3 at volker-wysk.de> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm new to Cabal, and I'm trying to Cabalize my library HsShellScript, with
> help by Howard Golden. I'm using the Simple Build Infrastructure.
>
> 1. I'm irritated by the fact, that calling the Cabal with "runhaskell
> configure; runhaskell build; runhaskell install" is _not_ sufficent in many
> cases. You need additional arguments for "runhaskell configure", and
> "runhaskell build" can't build everything, you need other actions in many
> cases. I need haddock, and it can't be specified in the .cabal file, or run
> by "runhaskell build".

End users installing packages by hand largely use the cabal-install[1]
command-line tool, which can be configured to auto-generate
documentation for installed packages and put them in a centralized
location. It may even do this by default.

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/wiki/CabalInstall

> 2. I have some HTML pages of additional documentation, which need to be
> installed, and need to be included in the (sdist) generated distribution
> package.
>
> I have no clue how this should be done.

In the package description, you should be able to add an
"Extra-Source-Files" section, see:

http://www.haskell.org/cabal/release/cabal-latest/doc/users-guide/authors.html#pkg-descr

That will get them into the source tarball. I'm not sure what else you
need to do to get them installed with the package - there is also a
"data-files" filed for files that are needed at run-time.