[Haskell-cafe] HDBC's future and request for help

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Wed Feb 23 12:48:21 CET 2011

Thanks John,

The simple answer is that I need to be able to use HDBC in proprietary
products and the LGPL makes this awkward - the most serious issue being that
owners of the code base don't want GNU licensed parts being linked into
their code base.  Packaging and delivery also gets complicated - (as I
understand it) LGPL components can't be delivered pre-linked, necessitating
dynamic linking of the relevant libraries or supplying a GHC kit which the
customer must use to assemble the product. This is all a significant drag.

Also, wouldn't it be good to get HDBC into the Haskell Platform? - but we
can't do this while it is LGPL can we?

On the other side, what are the risks with adopting a BSD license? Is it
that somebody could fork the library into a proprietary Haskell DB library
that would compete with HDBC?

Chris