[Haskell-cafe] Is there something better than tags?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Feb 22 12:26:04 CET 2011

Excerpts from Magnus Therning's message of Tue Feb 22 11:45:34 +0100 2011:
> generate them, and there are two tools for it, hasktags and
> hothasktags.  haskellmode currently uses GHCi to generate tags.
> However, the limitation seems to be inherent in the tags format
> itself.  AFAICS there is no way to get a fully functional
> go-to-definition with that format.
learn about gd and gD those are not perfect though.
Also keep in mind that # * start searches on words.
They all are not language aware so they are only bad replacements for
what you're looking for.
If you compile with warnings doesn't ghc emit warnings about shadowing ?
If so names tend to be unique such those searches tend to be helpful.

> 2. Retrieve type information for local defintions ('let', 'where',
> 'do'), and ideally also for sub expressions (like ':t filter (== 1)'.
> I believe haskellmode uses GHCi to get the type information out, but

I only know about scion which comes closest to what you ask for.
(http://github.com/MarcWeber/scion-backend-vim)

Marc Weber