[Haskell-cafe] Is there something better than tags?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Feb 22 11:45:34 CET 2011

I've been using haskellmode for vim for a while now and I'm really
happy with it.  It does however have some shortcomings.  These are the
things I find missing at times:

1. Fully functional go-to-definition.  With that I mean that
go-to-definition is aware of local definitions introduced in 'let' and
'where' clauses and ideally also for names bound in 'do' clauses.
I've found there are several ways to generate a tags file, GHCi can
generate them, and there are two tools for it, hasktags and
hothasktags.  haskellmode currently uses GHCi to generate tags.
However, the limitation seems to be inherent in the tags format
itself.  AFAICS there is no way to get a fully functional
go-to-definition with that format.

2. Retrieve type information for local defintions ('let', 'where',
'do'), and ideally also for sub expressions (like ':t filter (== 1)'.
I believe haskellmode uses GHCi to get the type information out, but
it is only able to get it for top-level definitions.

Are there any options to address these two shortcomings in haskellmode?

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org