[Haskell-cafe] Releasing head of lazy ByteString

tsuraan tsuraan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 17:16:06 CET 2011

> No, that need not be. If the compiler sees that it's never referenced
> again, it can be garbage collected (assuming the consumption pattern of msg
> allows that to be garbage collected incrementally).
>
> Try out whether your programme has a space leak by giving it a long input.
> If it has, ask again.

Ok, I'll see if I have any problems.  What I'm doing seemed like it
might be the wrong way to go, so I figured I'd ask about it to see if
I got any "don't do that" type responses.  Sounds like what I'm doing
is pretty much sane, so I'll see if I run into any trouble.

> Normally, that shouldn't be necessary. If you're done with some data, it
> should be garbage collected pretty soon.
> There are some situations where an unintended and unneeded reference to
> some data is kept around and prevents it from being collected, but in
> general, the compilers are rather good at managing memory.

Thanks for the info.  I'll be back if I have any trouble :)